Haywards Heath Photographer / 1st Birthday Cakesmash Photoshoot
Meet Grace. This little poppet loves cake. She loves playing with it. She loves throwing it. And she also loves eating it. Perfect for a cakesmash photoshoot!
This wasn’t the case straight away however. You see, as baby grows they become more aware of their surroundings and new people. This can sometimes mean that they take a little time to warm up and need a little space to get used to the environment and all of the equipment. Big flashy lights and people hiding behind cameras is a little strange for a 1 year old. Grace found being in the studio a little strange at first, but thats OK.
All of my photoshoots are led by the baby. If they need time to feed, cuddle or just explore then we relax and let them do just that. In Grace’s case, she enjoyed watching Peppa Pig on my big computer screen for a little while and then found the confidence to leave Mummy & explore a little. Grace didn’t like the flashy light at first, but once she was feeling confident this was soon forgotten. Before we knew it she was playing chef and posing like a pro.
Her super sparkly cake was made by Michelle Dainty, at Dainty Kitchen Bites. I have to say, having tasted a few of the cakes they are so tasty! This beautiful cake was covered with buttercream, sparkly candy an topped with squishy meringues. Grace delighted in removing every one before carefully placing them back (taking the odd nibble as she went)
My cakesmash photoshoots can be themed in any way you choose. From Peter Rabbit or Harry Potter, to simple and sophisticated floral and ditsy. What theme would you choose?
Top tips to help your baby relax at their cakesmash photoshoot
- Bring a favourite teddy, comforter or toy
- Have a good supply of snacks & a drink as they may need a break from cake
- Let me know what their favourite song or nursery rhyme is beforehand, so that we can sing to them
- Share their favourite TV programme and if needs be we can have it ready as a distraction
- Practice messy play at home beforehand. Some babies really don’t enjoy being sticky, so get them used to this before
- Give them cake before hand, especially with buttercream. It’s very sweet and babies aren’t always used to this so it’s good to get their palette used to the sugary taste
- Be prepared. It’s perfectly normal for your baby to be shy and sometimes a little bit wary of the new environment. Try to relax and don’t feel under any pressure to make them “perform” If they can see you’re happy, they will relax too!
1st Birthday Cakesmash Photoshoots
Cakesmash Photoshoots are available to book all year round. There is no session fee, just a £95 retainer which is then used as a discount towards your chosen image package. Cakesmash Photoshoots come with a splash of colour or subtle pastel tones. I love creating personal cakesmash sets and would love to bring your ideas to life, just let me know if you have a theme or colour choice in mind.
A Cakesmash Photoshoot usually includes family shots in addition at no extra cost. Perfectly timed to update your walls and family album.
If you would to mark this wonderful special occasion with a cakesmash or birthday portrait session, please do get in touch
Sussex based family photography by Louise Ferguson
Studio based, outdoor on location or in your own home
Serving clients across Sussex in Haywards Heath, Cuckfield, Lindfield, Brighton, Shoreham, Worthing, Uckfield, Horsham and Lewes